Practice Areas > Immigration

In the United States, federal law governs who may enter the United States, how long they may stay, and what they are permitted to do while in the United States (example: working).

Immigration benefits and enforcement are administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Prior to 2003 this organization was known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

Under U.S. Immigration law, persons are either U.S. Citizens/Nationals or Aliens. Aliens can be lawful permanent residents (green card holders) or non-immigrant visa holders.

Typical immigration services that an attorney can help with include:

  • E-2 Visa
  • Green Card
  • H-1B Visa
  • H-1B Visa Transfer
  • H-2B Visa
  • Immigration Consultation
  • J-1 Visa
  • L Visa
  • O Visa
  • TN Visa
  • Changes may occur in this area of law. The information provided is brought to you as a public service, and is intended to help you better understand the law in general. It is not intended to be legal advice regarding your particular problem or substitute for the advice of a lawyer.

    Back to Top

    Contact Us

    (800) 342-8011

    The Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service

    651 E. Jefferson St.

    Tallahassee, FL 32399

    Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:30pm

    Submit a Request

    "To inculate in its members the principles of duty and service to the public, to improve the administration of justice, and to advance the science of jurisprudence."

    - From the Rules Regulating the Florida Bar